Occupational safety and health refers to the practice of observing and analyzing working environments to ensure that they are safe for employees. The job of the occupational safety specialist is to anticipate and identify potential hazards so that the employer may make appropriate changes before accidents happen. Potential workplace hazards may include flaws in the design of a building that could cause physical injury to employees, biological or chemical hazards, or on-the-job stress due to overwork and poor working conditions. Occupational safety and health officer work to prevent harm to property, workers, the public, and the environment. They are responsible for implementing regulations that improve buildings, equipment and working practices. Working closely with many different organizations and regulatory agencies, occupational health specialists educate employers on healthier and safer working practices.
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply advanced level knowledge in occupational safety and health.
- Anticipate, recognize and evaluate hazards to people, property and he environment in workplaces and in the community as well as construct and recommend suitable preventive and control measures.
- Demonstrate sensitivities towards the community, culture and environment as well as train, advise and educate workers, employers and the community on occupational safety and health matters.
- Adhere to the legal, ethical and professional code of conduct in occupational safety and health.
- Present information and findings coherently; effectively communicate with peers, healthcare professionals, stakeholders and the community at large; demonstrate leadership, interpersonal and social skills; as well as collaborate with other healthcare professionals.
- Apply evidence based scientific principles in identifying and analyzing occupational safety and health problem as well as in providing solutions and ideas to improve the safety and health of workers; and conduct research, under supervision, relating to occupational safety and health.
- Utilize computer technology and information management system to enhance their practice; and apply lifelong learning skills and principles in academic and career development.
- coordinate daily activities relating to occupational safety and health; apply broad business and real world perspectives in the workplace and everyday activities; apply lifelong perspectives in the workplace and everyday activities; and demonstrate entrepreneurial skills in their practice.
Students of this programme are expected to complete the course in four years, which will be conducted in eight semesters. This programme emphasizes in theoretical approach and practical approach. The theoretical aspect will be conveyed in several methods including classroom teaching, laboratory sessions, field trip and fieldwork. As for the practical aspect, students will be assessed based on the industrial training. The core subjects for this programme are such as industrial hygiene, ergonomics, occupational safety and health (OSH) legislation, OSH management system, industrial safety, hazard control, risk management and occupational health. Students will also be thought on subjects like health surveillance, accident investigation, occupational stress, chemical safety and OSH promotion that work to complement the core subjects. In the final semester, students will be attached in various industries to perform their industrial training. They will be assessed on the aspect of application of OSH management, legislation, occupational health and hygiene, risk management and occupational safety
Pass STPM/Matriculation/A-Level/Pre-University programme with minimum GPA of 2.50 in the following subjects:
AND Pass SPM or equivalent with FIVE (5) credits including THREE (3) credits in the following subjects:
OR, Related Diploma from recognized institutions with minimum CGPA of 2.75;
OR, Related Diploma from recognized institutions with CGPA below than 2.75 and minimum of THREE (3) years working experience in the same field.
Local Student – Pass MUET with band 2
International Student – Candidates should have IELTS (6.0)/ TOEFL (550) paper-based or equivalence